To a writer, there are degrees that happen that mark the "reality" of you are having a book published. With each level that reality becomes stronger.
- The Call -- an editor actually WANTS your book!
- The Contract - signing on the line...suddenly it's no longer a hobby
- The ISBN Numbers - your very own ISBN Number for you book
- The Advance - Woo woo MONEY!
- Listing on Amazon.com, then Barnes and Nobles - seeing your book listed for preorder is a buzz
- Jpg over cover art - you've imagined it, now you see if they do right by your book
- Edits - scary stuff! You have to learn when to accept changes and when to fight them
- Cover flats - holding the front and back of your cover
- Galley edits - you see your book in print format for the first time - it's DIFFERENT than reading on a computer
- Holding the Book - you get that box of author's copies - It's REAL.
- The Reviews - highs when people get your book, disappointment when Miz Clueless posts, "this book sucks".
- Second contract - doing it once is cool. Second time it's much tougher
- Fan mail! - lovely when people take the time out of their busy lives to tell you how much your book touched them.
Post a Comment